(ADVIN, MOTRIN, NUPRIN, ETC)
A single 200mg tablet can be TOXIC for a cat or small to medium-sized dog!
Toxic effects occur quickly and damage the kidneys, liver and stomach (Ibuprofen is rapidly absorbed by the stomach and intestinal tract, and signs can occur in as quickly as 1 hour)
Can inhibit blood flow to the kidneys, resulting in kidney failure.
SIDE EFFECTS SEEN INCLUDE:
- Stomach irritation (vomiting +/- blood, stomach ulcers and perforations)
- Diarrhea +/- darkly colored (due to bleeding in the stomach)
- Appetite loss
- Abdominal pain
- Pale gums secondary to blood loss
- Extremely high doses can lead to altered mental status, SEIZURES, COMA
- Diagnosed by history of consumption; lab work may be done to assess the extent of damage
- If caught quickly enough, vomiting can be induced
- Sedation and flushing of stomach
- Liquid activated charcoal to slow absorption (needs to be repeated every few hours) because of the long-lasting effects of ibuprofen
- Hospitalization with I.V. fluids
- HOSPITALIZATION IS A MUST! There is no home-treatment, and NO SPECIFIC ANTIDOTE!