1 slice of bacon for a small dog is about 1/5 of the total calories he needs in a whole day!
- Canned pumpkin
- Fresh or frozen veggies, especially green beans and carrots
- Veggies are healthy, low in fat and high in fiber which will leave your pet feeling fuller
- NOTE: SOME veggies like Asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans can give your pet gas!
- One egg a day provides lots of protein!
- Canned Tuna and Salmon
- Canned in water!
- Contain Omega-3 fatty acids which help keep coats shiny, joints healthy and help protect the heart
- Full-fat yogurt can help with digestion and gas
VERY BAD treats
- The darker and more bitter, the more harmful!
- Found in chocolate, coffee and teas
- Can cause hyperactivity and seizures
- Onions/garlic/layered veggies
- Can make red blood cells fragile and make them likely to burst
- Onion-flavored foods can cause similar problems
- Apple seeds
- Contain cyanide! Can cause rapid breathing, vomiting and seizures
- Moldy bread or large quantities of bread can cause vomiting and convulsions
- Macadamia Nuts
- Can cause temporary paralysis that last 24-36 hours
- Fatty Foods like Fries, bacon, burgers etc
- They aren’t poisonous, but can cause the pancreas to become inflamed which results in profuse diarrhea, vomiting and stomach pain
VERY BAD treats
- Grapes/raisins/certain currants
- Cause kidney failure!
- Unbaked bread dough or anything that has yeast in it will expand in your pet’s stomach, sometimes so quickly that surgery is needed to remove it
- Also produces alcohol and carbon dioxide resulting in alcohol poisoning